Saturday, 5 February 2011

The Knowledge of Knowing

Do you ever get that innate feeling of knowledge? Knowledge that someone is lying to you, that someone is upset, or even that the next left would be most advisable, even though you are completely lost.

We have all heard of the supposed sixth sense. There’s the movie, the sayings, and well, the faith. In the same way people have faith in a God they can never see, people have absolute faith in the sixth sense. So what is it? Every human being has what the dictionary calls a “sense organ” whose sole purpose is to receive information from the outside physical world. Well that’s it right there. The physical world. Sight, Smell, Touch, Taste and Sound.

The Sixth Sense:

- An ability to perceive things in ways, which transcend the use of the traditional five senses; also known as intuition or inspiration.

- Insight: grasping the inner nature of things intuitively.

- To have the power of perception in addition to the five senses. It is also a popular term for ESP.

Now we could go ahead and get really wrapped up in the realms of ghosties and ghoulies, but that’s not my intention. I think people get to worked up about the unknown, and I would say it fair to say, that the whole concept of a sixth sense is yet another way of explaining away the things in this world that we just can’t explain. Some say it’s down to pheromones, these instinctive choices and knowings (poor word but oh well) are down to the base need to reproduce. Maybe. And others say it’s just magic.

Everyone knows the saying “the eyes are the window to the soul.” I have complete belief in this. I know when someone is lying to me, or withholding something from me a good 90% of the time if I am with them face to face. I don’t know why or how, but I tend to be right about liars, and first impressions. My girl across the hall would probably confirm this; sometimes I’ll tell her in a very Mighty Boosh-esq way “I have a bad feeling about now.” Like I said, I tend to be right.

I’m not bragging, merely observing this, sense, if that’s what we want to call it, objectively. It has been suggested, that by saying that you have a bad feeling about something, your subconscious directs you to create this so. I can understand this; the human mind is clearly a lot more intelligent and perceptive than we can know. In fact, the very best of us only use about a third of our brain, and even less than that consciously.

“sit in a Cafe and read a magazine/newspaper, you'll get a "feeling" that someone has been looking at you, and when you turn your head to look up, sometimes you'll find yourself making direct eye contact with the person that has been looking at you for a while.” – Brian Morgan, random blogger commenter.

What do we know? And how can we know it? At the end of the day, a chair is only a chair because we say so. I guess I do believe in a sixth sense, but perhaps that it is something a lot deeper than the Americanized mumbo jumbo. Not so much magical powers given to the ridiculously intelligent, or those exposed to nuclear waste…more and innate part of humanity that exists within all of us. We all have an appendix, but we no longer use it or have a need for it. I think this deep knowledge is the opposite. It has always been there, we just haven’t realized it yet because it is not a tangible organ to be prodded and poked with sterile equipment in a science lab. I say don’t try and understand, but keep your mind and soul open to the knowledge that you can know, without even knowing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment