In my severe boredom over the last
couple of days, I’ve inevitably spent a lot of time on the Internet, looking
for new work togs, checking up on Facebook and following the persistent stream
of interesting news feed links. I’ve spent two days bouncing between videos
entitled “What it’s like to be a woman at night” to articles entitled “Women
Wear Too Much Makeup Because They Mistakenly Think Men Like It”. I watched a clip on Upworthy about “Fattitude” where I find myself
welcoming statements such as:
“…when you are calorie deficient you are
not as cognitively active as you would be otherwise, so it’s a way of weakening
women and keeping them focused on something irrelevant so that they can’t be as
powerful in the world.”
And then afterwards I
went to the gym and had a low calorie dinner because I want to slim down for
the summer hols. I found out that other women split their keys between their
knuckles when walking around at night, and that the terms “hysteria” and
“hysterical” come from the Greek word for womb, hystera, and that it was once a
disease specific to women that could be diagnosed, leading to a set of words
used solely to describe women nowadays who are expressing gender mutual
emotions, such as anger, stress or pain.
Now I’m reading news
of little girls kidnapped and sold as brides in Nigeria for $12 a piece and an
article about the disassociation between the monsters who rape women and the
men who exchange witty sexist banter down the pub, and I find myself lost down
the rabbit hole of double standards, dependencies on context, and 1000s of
words dedicated to trying to blame someone or something for the state of
women’s rights in the world rather than figuring out a way to solve it.
Maybe I’m being
monumentally pessimistic, but I don’t see a clear path for fixing these age-old
opinions and ingrained ideas about women in society. The Internet is a
magnificent tool for making many aware of misconduct it has to be said, but
there is a darkness waiting behind every light switch. It has to be
acknowledged that the Internet makes negativity even more accessible, in the
form of pro-ana sites, a constant bombardment of thin white girl adverts,
umpteen quizzes like “which Disney princess am I?” encouraging western women to
repeatedly try to prove themselves in irrelevant realms of supposed necessity.
I want things to
change, but it’s going to take a while for people to accept that equality is
not simply granting women the same treatment as men, it’s when we live in a
world where the differences are not highlighted in order to make society
function. Equality is so often morphed into fighting for a win-lose situation…Women
against men and vice versa. It has to be a win-win, because until then
it can only be a lose-lose, despite what money/power based successes people
decide to focus on.
If equality truly
wins, it will be the day when no child has to come out to their parents, a size
10 won’t have to squeeze into a size 12 in Topshop, a woman won’t be persecuted
for her attire (whether that be overly modest or the opposite), a woman won’t
be constantly made aware that almost any man could overpower her in any given
situation, and so many other things. SO MANY. It’s no wonder we don’t know
where to start.
When I read all of
these things one after the other, it becomes apparent that our society is no
closer to the concept of equality. Men are still told to man up, and women are
still told to calm down.
No comments:
Post a Comment