My hands can meet around your back.
My ears are wise to old man's pun,
My eyes too keen to see your lack.
You are protector and teacher.
You are annoyance and joy.
The guide I need and my lawyer,
The beaming smile that brought me toys.
A CD walkman in a church,
A glass walking cane by the sea.
But these material objects,
Are never needed to keep me
Close. We are the same, you and I.
We shout, we shriek, faces turned pink.
We curse, we glare, ice in our eye.
You make me so angry, but think
Of times well spent in grassy fields,
Games over played in summertime.
Deep debates over cooling meals,
A night spent talking over rhymes.
I am ashamed that I forget
Treasured memories, moments so dear.
True, Father, I owe you great debt,
Just remember to give me years
Of future times, of genuine trust.
Secrets unlocked, teen angst faded.
Promise your mind won't turn to dust.
Pending friendship, not evaded.
No comments:
Post a Comment