Thursday, 21 April 2011

Deterioration

The corners of our minds are dusty. This is because, as a race, we have decided that using a mere third of our brains will quite suffice, thank you. The brain...it's such an odd thing. Scientists started around 8 years ago trying to replicate that of a rat and still haven't succeeded. All a rat does is survive. If you think of the wealth of knowledge, emotion and memory we shove into that little third. But for what? Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Dementia and even just general old age. We live a life just to forget it. I've often said I'm not afraid of dying, but what if I forget that fact? I am a hoarder of photographs, tickets, postcards because the thought of forgetting the little things in my life horrifies me, and I'm only eighteen. To forget those you love. To forget everything you have achieved. To be scared and in the dark until the day death takes pity on you. That, has to be one of the worst ways to go. We are just machines at the end of the day. Not built to outlive our guarantee, to slowly fall apart. And you can only fix a broken plate so many times before it's just shards. Off the dustpan, into the bin. Then you forget about it. You forgot it was ever there.

No comments:

Post a Comment